My second hand-wired keyboard is a clone of the Atreus with 62 keys. Building my first hand-wired keyboard was so much fun and I had Zealios V1 laying around so I built another one.
|Model no.||Atreus 62|
|Manufacture Date||April-June 2020|
|Case||Handbuild, oiled oak with brass inlay|
|Plate||Custom designed, CNC milled 3mm stainless steel|
|Switches||Zealios V1 65g|
|Keycaps||SA Laser alphas + Ortho Minicons|
|Dimensions||345 × 270 × 22 mm|
|PCB/Software||teensy 2.0 + QMK|
The layout is kind of a hybrid of the layout I use with my Planck with the additional number row. I switched the “thumb keys” around back and forward between having
space on the 1.5u or the inner most 1u key. I ended up with using the 1u as
space and the 1.5u as second
Lower Layer (blue)
Raise Layer (orange)
I am using QMK with this config.
Based on a 22mm oak slab I used my hand-router for the cutout of ~3mm matching exactly the steel plate and a deeper ~15mm cutout with an 2mm inset of the plate shape, giving it a nice ridge to sit on. Unfortunately with the high of the inner cutout I was not able to add an USB connector so I had to attach the cable fixed. I added an aviator 5-pin connector to have it somewhat detachable.
On the backside there is an additional cutout under the wrist rest for the brass weight of around 750gram. I glued in seven brass screw sockets and used pcb spacers to attach the plate to the case.
I finished the case by rounding of the edges, sanding the wood up to 320 grid and oiling it.
With the curvature of the rows the wiring looks less clean as the one on the Planck 64. Overall I uses the same materials and techniques as on the Planck64. At the bottom I added a magnetic reed switch to reset the board in case I mess up the firmware.